"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning."
- Louise L'Amour

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm sure you guessed we had the baby by now!!

So, after all the turmoil, we had our little baby boy early October. At 41 weeks and 1 day to be exact. I went in the Friday before our scheduled c-section to get my membranes swept for the last time. AHA!!! Progress. I was 2 cms dilated and a little effaced, and the baby had dropped. This put me in a huge dilemma of what to do, cancel the RCS or ride it out through the night and go to the hospital in the morning. It was a huge struggle for me and hubby to make a decision. We went back and forth. The emotional mess is hard to describe now, being so far out from that day - but, in the end, we said if nothing happens, we will have the c-section.

However, it didn't come down to that. The next morning my alarm went off at 5 am. Our RCS was scheduled for 6am. I felt a few contractions, about 4 to 7 minutes apart. I got pissed because I was like - "really body? Now, you are going to start working?" But, again, they weren't really anything to write home about, so away we went to the hospital.

Got to the triage desk. I broke down. I started crying and said I really did not want a c-section and I was having contractions. Pleading with them to do something to change the OBs mind (the OBs oversee our midwives for the c-sections). My midwife came in, checked me out. I was fully effaced, baby was in station, and I was contracting every 2-3 minutes. She said I was getting my trial of labor and she whisked off to go argue the OB that I was NOT going to be operated on. We were ecstatic.

Long story short - I was in labor for 15 hours total. So much better than the first time around at 36 hours, and ending in a c-section. I had a couple of scares this labor with it stalling out and the baby's heartrate being a bit erratic, but in the end, after 10 minutes of pushing, our little guy arrived screaming into the world. It was wonderful and all my angst was washed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment